Mental health insurance is a fairly new type of insurance. As recently as ten years ago, most insurers offered little if any coverage for mental health problems. Now, many states require that insurance companies include some form of mental health insurance coverage as part of their health insurance policies. Here's how to get affordable mental health insurance.
What Does Mental Health Insurance Cover?
Mental health insurance coverages vary widely among insurance companies. Most insurance companies cover problems such as
* Relationship difficulties
* Social phobias
They typically do not cover alternative therapies such as aromatherapy, nor do they cover therapy related to gender change.
Insurance companies typically allow around 20 to 30 sessions with a mental health professional per year, paying anywhere from 50-80 percent of the bill.
Selecting a Mental Health Insurance Policy
Whether you're looking for an insurance policy that just covers mental health or a policy that includes both physical and mental health coverage, your best option for finding an affordable policy is to shop around. Go to an insurance comparison website and get quotes from multiple A-rated companies that you can compare. As you compare the policies, look for whether the policy:
* Requires a referral from your primary care physician or employee assistance program.
* Includes a preferred list of providers and hospitals you must choose from and what the financial consequences are if you choose someone else.
* Includes a separate annual deductible for mental health services.
* Pays for office visits, medication, respite care, outpatient hospital care, and inpatient hospital care and what the co-payments are for these services.
* Limits your number of visits.
* Excludes certain diagnoses or pre-existing conditions.
* Includes an annual or lifetime cap for mental health coverage.Where to Get Affordable Mental Health Insurance